Musée No:737.017Regular price £25.00
Whitton House Middlesex
Artist: Roger Morris
Roger Morris 1695-1749 was described in 1724 as bricklayer, but by the time he paid his rates in 1730 he was a ‘gentleman’. His career as an architect was linked to Colen Campbell to whom he was an assistant and also and Henry Herbert, Earl of Pembroke. He designed the Column of Victory for Blenheim Palace. In 1732 he was engaged by the 3rd Duke of Argyll, to design a house at Whitton. The Duke was an enthusiastic gardener and the house was known for its gardens. He imported large numbers of exotic species of plants and trees. On his death, many of the plants, including mature trees, were moved by his nephew, to the Princess of Wales' new garden at Kew. This later became Kew Gardens and one of the trees, the rather spooky looking ‘Black Locust’ replanted in 1762, still survives to this day. The House was demolished in 1847.