Musée No:737.029Regular price £25.00
Artist: Sutton Nichols
(1668-1729), Engraver, medallist and draughtsman.
Montagu House (sometimes spelled "Montague") was a late 17th-century mansion in Great Russell Street in the Bloomsbury district of London, a site which is now in the heart of London but which then backed onto open fields. The house was actually built twice, both times for the same man, Ralph Montagu, 1st Duke of Montagu. The first house on the site was destroyed by fire in 1686. The rebuilt house became the first home of the British Museum in 1759, and demolished in the 1840s to make way for the present larger building.